This mushroom gravy recipe will take your mashed potatoes to an entire new degree! It is vegan, however even meat lovers will fall for its wealthy, savory taste.
I’ve had a mushroom gravy recipe on my record to make for years. After attempting this one, all I can assume is, “What took me so lengthy?!” This mushroom gravy is wealthy, velvety, and filled with savory taste. It’s completely vegan, nevertheless it’ll give any gravy made with meat or butter a run for its cash. Each time I make it, I all the time eat a number of spoonfuls straight from the pan. It’s that good! Pour it over mashed potatoes as soon as, and also you’ll by no means wish to eat them some other approach.
Vegan Mushroom Gravy Recipe Elements
This mushroom gravy recipe comes along with a handful of primary substances:
- Mushrooms, in fact! They add hearty texture and umami taste to this mushroom gravy recipe.
- Shallot and garlic – For sharp, savory depth of taste.
- Tamari or soy sauce – For those who’ve made my veggie burger or sautéed mushrooms, you already know that I like cooking mushrooms with tamari. It actually highlights their wealthy, savory taste. Soy sauce will work right here too, however make certain to make use of tamari in case you want this gravy to be gluten-free.
- Rosemary and thyme – These herbs take this vegan mushroom gravy excessive! Their recent, fragrant flavors make it cozy and sophisticated.
- All-purpose flour – It makes the gravy good and thick. (See the recipe beneath for a gluten-free possibility.)
- Vegetable inventory – It provides the gravy physique.
- Further-virgin olive oil – For richness.
- And sea salt and recent black pepper – To make all of the flavors pop!
Discover the entire recipe with measurements beneath.
This mushroom gravy reheats completely, so be happy to organize it a day or two prematurely. It thickens because it sits, so that you’ll doubtless must stir in an additional splash of water or broth once you heat it up. Add a bit at a time till the gravy reaches your required consistency. Season with salt and pepper to style, and revel in!
Mushroom Gravy Serving Options
This mushroom gravy could be a scrumptious addition to a Thanksgiving or vacation dinner. I find it irresistible with basic aspect dishes like stuffing and roasted Brussels sprouts, however like every good gravy recipe, it’s finest with mashed potatoes. Spoon it over my conventional roasted garlic mashed potatoes, or attempt an out-of-the-box mash as an alternative. This vegan mushroom gravy could be an ideal topping for my mashed cauliflower or parsnip puree.
You probably have any leftovers, stir some cooked white beans into the gravy, pour it over creamy mashed cauliflower, and revel in it as a meal by itself! In actual fact, I like this mixture a lot that I make it for dinner all through the autumn and winter. Served with homemade focaccia or crusty bread, it’s satisfying, wholesome, and comforting.
Extra Favourite Vacation Recipes
For those who love this recipe, attempt considered one of these vacation aspect dishes subsequent:
And for extra tasty vegan recipes, try this post!
Forestall your display screen from going darkish
Warmth the olive oil in a big skillet over medium warmth. Add the shallot and prepare dinner till smooth, about 4 minutes.
Add the mushrooms and prepare dinner till smooth, about 8 to 10 minutes. Stir within the tamari, garlic, thyme, and rosemary. Sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms and stir for 1 minute.
Add the broth and simmer till thickened, whisking usually, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to style.
Make this recipe gluten free: Omit the flour in step 2. On the finish of step 3, spoon a number of tablespoons of the liquid right into a small bowl. Add 2 tablespoons cornstarch and stir till easy. Pour this combination again into the pan and stir till the gravy thickens.