Pasta e fagioli is a hearty Italian soup made with pasta, beans, and veggies. Served with crusty bread, it is vegetarian consolation meals at its finest.
Pasta e fagioli, generally shortened to pasta fagioli (or pasta fazool if you happen to’re a Sopranos fan), is a basic Italian soup. Its identify actually interprets to “pasta and beans,” and it consists of tiny pasta, creamy beans, and tender greens in a aromatic tomato broth.
Right here within the US, many individuals know pasta e fagioli from the menu at Olive Backyard, however I’m right here to inform you that you just HAVE to strive making this dish at residence. It comes collectively in a single pot. The components are largely pantry staples. AND the mix of pasta, beans, and veggies makes it a satisfying standalone meal.
In the event you’re in search of easy, inexpensive, and scrumptious dinners so as to add to your rotation, pasta e fagioli can’t be beat. I’m sharing my go-to recipe beneath. I hope you adore it as a lot as I do!
Pasta e Fagioli Recipe Substances
Right here’s what you must make this pasta e fagioli recipe:
- Pasta, in fact! Ditalini is my high decide. Can’t discover it? Little elbow macaroni noodles or one other small pasta form would work effectively too.
- Beans – In Italy, pasta e fagioli is historically made with contemporary cranberry beans. Nonetheless, contemporary shell beans are exhausting to search out the place I reside, so I name for canned cannellini beans as an alternative. They’re nonetheless scrumptious!
- Further-virgin olive oil – For richness.
- Onion, garlic, carrots, and fennel – These fragrant veggies create the soup’s flavorful base. I LOVE the fennel’s anise-like taste on this soup, however if you happen to can’t discover it, or if you happen to’re not a fennel fan, celery is a good different!
- Tomato paste – It thickens the broth and deepens the tomato taste.
- Contemporary rosemary – For cozy, piney taste.
- Diced tomatoes – They add candy, tangy taste to the broth.
- Vegetable broth – Use store-bought, or make your own.
- A Parmesan rind – Yep, you may simply chop the rind off a block of Parmesan cheese! In the event you’re vegetarian, you should definitely search for a model made with vegetarian enzymes (BelGioioso makes an important one). In the event you’re vegan, be at liberty to skip it.
- Kale or Swiss chard – It’s not solely conventional in pasta e fagioli, however I like ending a pot of soup with numerous leafy greens!
- Pink pepper flakes – They add a kick of warmth.
- And salt and pepper – To make all of the flavors pop!
Discover the entire recipe with measurements beneath.
How one can Make Pasta e Fagioli
This hearty soup recipe is so easy to make!
First, sauté the veggies. Warmth the olive oil in a big soup pot or Dutch oven over medium warmth, and add the onion, carrots, and fennel. You need the veggies to get very gentle. Prepare dinner, stirring sometimes, for 10 to fifteen minutes.
Stir within the garlic, tomato paste, and rosemary, and prepare dinner for one more minute.
Subsequent, simmer the soup. Add the tomatoes, beans, broth, and Parmesan rind to the pot. Simmer for 20 minutes to permit the flavors to meld.
Then, stir within the pasta. Prepare dinner for one more 10 minutes or so, till the pasta is al dente.
Lastly, add the kale and purple pepper flakes. Prepare dinner till the kale wilts. Season to style and serve!
Pasta e Fagioli Serving Ideas
If you’re able to eat, ladle the pasta e fagioli soup into bowls, and high it with extra purple pepper flakes, a sprinkle of parsley, and freshly grated Parmesan cheese, if you happen to like. You can also’t go mistaken with a facet of crusty bread for sopping up the broth!
Leftovers maintain effectively within the fridge for a day or two, however the pasta soaks up increasingly of the broth the longer it sits within the soup. If you wish to make this recipe a number of days forward, or if you happen to plan on freezing it, it’s possible you’ll need to omit the pasta while you first make the soup. As an alternative, boil it individually and add it to the soup simply earlier than serving in order that the noodles nonetheless have an al dente chew while you eat.
Extra Favourite Soup Recipes
In the event you love this recipe, strive one among these basic soups subsequent:
Pasta e Fagioli
Serves 4 to six
Pasta e fagioli, generally shortened to pasta fagioli, is a basic Italian soup made with pasta and beans. My recipe is a comforting, scrumptious vegetarian dinner! Serve it with crusty bread for sopping up the flavorful broth.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 small fennel bulb or 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, plus extra to style
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon chopped contemporary rosemary
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups cooked cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- Parmesan rind, non-compulsory
- 1 cup ditalini pasta, or different small pasta
- 2 giant kale or Swiss chard leaves, stemmed and torn (about 6 cups)
- Pinches of purple pepper flakes
Warmth the olive oil in a big pot or Dutch oven over medium warmth. Add the onion, fennel, carrots, salt, and a number of other grinds of pepper and prepare dinner, stirring sometimes, for 10 to fifteen minutes, or till very gentle.
Add the garlic, tomato paste, and rosemary and prepare dinner, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and their juices, the beans, broth, and Parmesan rind, if utilizing. Simmer for 20 minutes.
Add the pasta and simmer for 10 extra minutes, or till al dente. Stir within the kale and purple pepper flakes and prepare dinner till the kale is wilted. Season to style and serve.