If there have been ever a creamy potato dish value making, it’s this one. It’s much like scalloped potatoes, however higher, for my part. It comes collectively merely and fantastically, with no roux required.
This potatoes au gratin recipe is definitely generally known as gratin dauphinois in France. Gratin dauphinois hails from the Dauphiné area in southeastern France, which is nestled subsequent to Italy.
Gratin dauphinois options thinly sliced rounds of potatoes cooked in cream, typically with cheese however typically with out. This potato gratin features a beneficiant quantity of Gruyère cheese, and I wouldn’t need it some other method! The recipe is flippantly seasoned with garlic, pepper and nutmeg, and the top result’s simply… magic.
In case you would love a second of completely satisfied silence at your bustling vacation meal, serve this recipe. I’ve actually watched individuals go quiet upon their first chew. That’s once I know a recipe is excellent!
Potatoes au Gratin Substances
This recipe makes use of a brief listing of substances and the flavour is really wonderful. You’ll discover the total recipe on the backside of the put up, with a print-friendly choice.
Starchy russet potatoes are perfect for potatoes au gratin. Whereas I’m typically an enormous fan of potato skins, you’ll must peel the potato skins earlier than slicing the potatoes for the best melt-in-your-mouth texture.
Heavy cream is the best way to go along with this recipe. I’ve tried half and half and it really works decently nicely, however clumps considerably. Entire milk clumps and doesn’t yield a creamy gratin, so I strongly advise towards it.
Recent garlic, at all times! Two cloves subtly infuse this dish with irresistible fragrant taste.
Black pepper, nutmeg & salt
Freshly floor black pepper and only a pinch of nutmeg are all you want right here. Effectively, and salt—potatoes love salt.
Gruyère cheese or Emmental
Gruyère cheese is extra anticipated in gratin dauphinois, however I like Emmental equally nicely. Whereas Emmental is much like Swiss cheese, Swiss cheese didn’t end up nicely in our checks, because it hardened an excessive amount of.
Recent chives are elective, however supply a beautiful burst of recent inexperienced colour on high of this creamy, golden brown dish.
How one can Make Potatoes au Gratin
This recipe is easy and you’ll watch it come collectively within the brief video under. Right here’s a rundown with some added notes:
1) Peel and slice the potatoes.
Ideally, you’re slicing the potatoes as thinly as presumably, about 1/8-inch thick. That is tough even with the sharpest of chef’s knives.
I’m at all times hesitant to suggest a mandoline slicer as a result of they’re harmful, however the mandoline undeniably yields the thinnest and most uniform outcomes. When utilizing a mandoline, please keep centered on the duty at hand, know the place your fingers are always, and don’t be tempted to slice any nearer to the top of the potato than you’re feeling totally assured doing.
2) Whisk collectively the cream, minced garlic, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Straightforward sufficient! The garlic and spices will settle, so that you’ll must whisk the combination every time simply earlier than utilizing.
3) Begin layering the potatoes, then layer with cream and cheese.
Organize about one-third of the potatoes within the backside of a 9-inch sq. pan in an overlapping fish-scale sample. (That is my beloved 9-inch pan, should you’re available in the market.) Whisk the cream combination, pour in a portion of it, and sprinkle some cheese on high.
4) Repeat, repeat. High with all remaining cheese.
Potatoes, whisked cream, and extra cheese, in that order.
5) Bake, and canopy it towards the top of baking.
After about 40 minutes within the oven, the highest needs to be turning properly golden. We’re going to cowl it with parchment or foil to forestall the highest from changing into too browned by the point the potatoes are cooked by. The potatoes are finished as soon as you may press a fork right through the middle of the dish with ease (if unsure, go slightly longer).
6) Briefly cool, then serve.
This dish wants a minimum of 20 minutes to chill earlier than serving. Straight out of the oven, it’s far too sizzling to serve, and the layers want an opportunity to chill considerably with a purpose to maintain their form. Sprinkle with chopped chives earlier than serving, if desired.
Watch How one can Make Potatoes au Gratin
Extra Potato Recipes to Make
In case you love potatoes (and who doesn’t?), you can not miss these potato recipes on Cookie and Kate:
Please let me know the way your gratin seems within the feedback! I really like listening to from you.
Potatoes au Gratin (Gratin Dauphinois)
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Prepare dinner Time: 45 minutes
- Complete Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
- Class: Aspect Dish
- Technique: Baked
- Delicacies: French
- Weight loss plan: Vegetarian
This potatoes au gratin recipe is wealthy, golden brown and totally irresistible! Referred to as gratin dauphinois in France, this potato gratin is made with layers of potato, cream and cheese. It’s worthy of your vacation desk! Recipe yields 12 aspect servings.
- 2 kilos russet potatoes
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 medium cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 teaspoon wonderful salt
- 10 twists of freshly floor black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon floor nutmeg
- 2 cups (8 ounces) grated Gruyère cheese or Emmental
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped recent chives, elective
- Preheat the oven to 425 levels Fahrenheit. Peel the potatoes and slice them as thinly as attainable, ideally ⅛-inch thick.
- In a liquid measuring cup, whisk collectively the cream, minced garlic, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Organize about one-third of the potatoes within the backside of a 9-inch sq. pan in an overlapping fish-scale sample. Whisk the cream combination once more, then pour about one-third of the cream combination over the potatoes. Sprinkle with ½ cup of the cheese.
- Repeat this two extra instances, topping with all the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 40 minutes, then place a sheet of parchment paper or foil excessive to forestall it from turning too brown. Bake for five to 10 extra minutes, checking each 5, till you may press a fork right through the potatoes with ease.
- Let the dish cool for a minimum of 20 minutes (it’s loopy sizzling). Garnish with the elective chives, if desired, and serve heat.
Put together prematurely: This dish will be assembled as much as 24 hours prematurely. Chill it within the fridge, coated. It would doubtless want extra time within the oven because it’s beginning off chilly, and it’s troublesome to supply actual timing on this state of affairs. Regulate the dish beginning at 40 minutes and canopy it as soon as it’s turning properly golden on high.
▸ Diet Info
Did you make this recipe?