You’ll love this up to date model of a traditional: salted caramel apple pie. It has all the taste you’re keen on from caramel apples, with the added bonus of a buttery, flaky pie crust. It’s at all times one of many top-rated Thanksgiving pies on my web site, however you don’t want to attend for a particular vacation to make it. Prime every slice with vanilla ice cream for a dessert that goals are fabricated from!
This is likely one of the first pie recipes I initially printed on my web site, again in 2013. And it’s nonetheless considered one of my absolute favorites! I make it each Thanksgiving, together with pumpkin pie.
Right here’s Why You’ll Love This Salted Caramel Apple Pie
- Cinnamon-spiced apples
- Further additional apple filling (pile it excessive!)
- Buttery, flaky golden pie crust
- Candy, salty, gooey salted caramel (want I say extra?)
- Tastes superb with vanilla ice cream
There are 3 components to this pie. It’s fairly much like my common apple pie, however with salted caramel inside and on prime. (Probably the most flavorful addition!) First, we’ve the buttery, flaky pie crust, then the cinnamon-spiced apples, and at last the salted caramel. Let’s begin with the crust. Have you ever ever made pie dough from scratch earlier than?
Begin With High quality Pie Dough
Pie crust will be tough, however it doesn’t must be. It’s made with just a few easy components. Flour, salt, chilly water, and fats. You may make pie crust with shortening or with butter. Why shortening? Shortening aids in creating flakiness. Flaky, tender, melt-in-your mouth crust. Why butter? Butter imparts unparalleled, impeccable taste. Nothing beats butter relating to taste!
My favourite pie crust recipe makes use of each, for the perfect of each worlds. Flaky, tender, buttery pie crust created from shortening AND butter. And for those who’re searching for an all-butter pie dough, right here is my favourite recipe for all-butter pie crust.
Every of those pie dough recipe posts features a useful video tutorial, step-by-step photographs, and many troubleshooting suggestions.
#1 Pie Crust Success Tip
Maintain the pie dough chilly everytime you aren’t working with it. Depart the pie dough within the fridge whilst you make the apple filling.
Finest Filling Elements to Use & Why
- Apples: You want about 8 giant apples. Identical to once we make apple cake, I like to recommend utilizing half tart and half candy. I really like tart Granny Smith apples paired with a candy selection akin to Pink Girl, Honeycrisp, Jazz, or Fuji. You get extra complicated taste in every chunk whenever you use a combo.
- Sugar: Use granulated sugar to sweeten the apple pie filling. You don’t want an excessive amount of, as a result of additionally, you will be including the sweetness of the salted caramel.
- Lemon: A squeeze of lemon is essential in apple pies. Not sufficient to style the lemon, however simply sufficient to stop the apples from browning and to maintain the flavour vivid. (Apple pies can style a bit of flat with out it.) For these causes, I additionally use lemon in my apple cinnamon babka recipe.
- Flour: Flour thickens the pie filling, turning the juices right into a gooey filling that units up, for a wonderfully sliceable pie. I don’t use cornstarch right here, flour is my best choice. I choose cornstarch for berry pies, like this blueberry pie.
- Spices: Cinnamon and nutmeg add unparalleled taste. For added heat, add some allspice or cloves. You possibly can actually use both; they’re like a comfy hug in your tastebuds. 😉
- Salted Caramel: You should utilize store-bought caramel sauce or you can also make this standard do-it-yourself salted caramel sauce. I like to recommend do-it-yourself; my recipe is salty, candy, and irresistibly buttery. You make it on the range with solely 4 easy components, and a couple of of these components are additionally used within the filling and the crust (sugar and butter). No sweet thermometer required, and you can also make the caramel upfront, or whereas your pie dough is chilling.
By the best way, here’s a full listing of the best apples for baking.
These Step-by-Step Images Will Assist
My pie crust recipe makes sufficient dough for a double-crusted pie. Begin by rolling out your backside pie crust (about 12 inches in diameter) and becoming it right into a 9-inch pie dish.
Subsequent, add the apple filling to the crust. It’s possible you’ll suppose, “There’s means an excessive amount of filling, it gained’t match!” However it’s going to, I promise. Pile it excessive.
Now pour about 1/2 cup of salted caramel over the apples.
Take the remaining chilled pie dough out of the fridge. Roll it out right into a 12- to 14-inch-diameter circle. I prefer to make a lattice pie crust for the highest. I used 18 strips of pie dough to lattice and so they had been about 1/2—3/4 inch thick… 9 strips going every means. Crimp the pie crust edges with a fork, to seal in all that caramel-apple goodness.
Different Topping Choices
In fact, you should utilize thicker strips like I used for this peach pie, or a mix of thick and skinny strips like I used on this cherry pie. You might additionally attempt one thing additional ornamental by studying How to Braid Pie Crust or following my Pie Crust Designs Tutorial.
Or… be happy to skip the highest crust fully (save the opposite half of the pie dough for a pumpkin pie!) and use the oat streusel topping from this blueberry crumble pie or the crumb topping from this apple crumble pie. I usually like to combine this recipe with that topping!
As soon as the pie filling is effervescent, and the crust is golden brown, the pie is completed. Look ahead to the pie to chill fully, after which you’ll be able to slice and serve. As at all times, you’ll be able to serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and because you’ll have some leftover, add a drizzle of salted caramel on prime. These are the *chef’s kiss* good ending touches to your salted caramel apple pie.
Salted Caramel Apple Pie Success Suggestions
- Uniform Apple Slices: Do your greatest to chop the apple slices to be all the identical thickness. Why? You don’t need some thick strong apples and a few skinny mushy apples. You need all of them to bake right into a deliciously soft-yet-crisp texture. Goal for about 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Chilly Pie Dough: Maintain all the pie dough you aren’t immediately working with within the fridge. Heat or room-temperature pie dough is not possible to roll and deal with.
- Make-Forward Salted Caramel: You may make the salted caramel upfront, and refrigerate for as much as 1 month or freeze for as much as 3 months. Thaw within the fridge or at room temperature, then warmth it up earlier than utilizing. After refrigerating, the caramel can be chilly and strong, so that you’ll have to heat it as much as convey it again to a liquid consistency you’ll be able to pour over the pie.
You’ll want to try my prime 10 best pie baking tools, however listed here are just a few particular instruments I like to recommend for making this salted caramel apple pie:
Gooey cinnamon-spiced and salted caramel-infused apples be a part of my buttery flaky pie crust to make this totally unimaginable apple pie variation. I really like this salted caramel apple pie with a traditional lattice prime, however you'll be able to attempt the oat streusel from this blueberry crumble pie or the crumb topping from my apple crumble pie. Bake and funky the pie fully, after which prime with much more salted caramel sauce.
- The crust: Put together both pie crust recipe via step 5.
- If you're not utilizing store-bought salted caramel sauce, make the homemade version. You’ll need to make it now so it could possibly cool because the pie dough chills within the fridge.
- Make the filling: In a big bowl, stir the apple slices, sugar, lemon juice, flour, cinnamon, allspice/cloves, and nutmeg collectively till completely mixed. Put aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C).
- Roll out the chilled pie dough: On a floured work floor, roll out one of many discs of chilled dough (hold the opposite one within the fridge). Flip the dough a few quarter flip after each few rolls till you've gotten a circle 12 inches in diameter. Fastidiously place the dough right into a 9-inch pie dish that’s 1.5 to 2 inches deep. Tuck the dough in along with your fingers, ensuring it's easy.
- Spoon the filling into the crust. It is going to seem to be numerous apples; that’s okay. Pile them excessive, and tightly collectively. Drizzle evenly with 1/2 cup (120ml) of the caramel sauce. It’s okay if the caramel sauce continues to be a bit of heat. (If do-it-yourself salted caramel has solidified, heat it on the range or within the microwave till it’s pourable.)
- End assembling: Take away the opposite disc of chilled pie dough from the fridge. Roll the dough right into a circle that's 12 to 14 inches diameter. Utilizing a pastry wheel, sharp knife, or pizza cutter, reduce strips of dough; within the pictured pie, I reduce 18 1/2-inch to three/4-inch broad strips. Fastidiously thread the strips over and below each other, pulling again strips as essential to weave. (Right here’s a lattice pie crust tutorial for those who want visuals.) Use a small paring knife or kitchen shears to trim off extra dough. Fold the overhang again in direction of the middle of the pie, and pinch the sides to stick the highest and backside crusts collectively. Crimp or flute the pie crust edges to seal.
- Evenly brush the highest of the pie crust with the egg wash. Sprinkle the highest with coarse sugar, if utilizing.
- Place the pie onto a big baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes. Then, retaining the pie within the oven, scale back the oven temperature all the way down to 375°F (190°C). Place a pie crust shield (see Notice for do-it-yourself defend) on the sides to stop them from over-browning. Proceed baking the pie till the caramel apple filling is effervescent across the edges, 35–40 extra minutes. This seems like a very long time, however under-baking the pie means an unfinished filling with agency apples with paste-like flour. If you wish to be exact, the interior temperature of the filling taken with an instant read thermometer needs to be round 200°F (93°C) when accomplished. Tip: If wanted in direction of the top of bake time, take away the pie crust defend and tent a whole piece of foil on prime of the pie if the highest seems prefer it’s getting too brown.
- Take away pie from the oven, place on a cooling rack, and funky for no less than 3 hours earlier than slicing and serving. Filling can be too juicy if the pie is heat whenever you slice it. Drizzle your entire pie or every slice with remaining salted caramel.
- Cowl and retailer leftover pie at room temperature for as much as 1 day or within the fridge for as much as 5 days.
- Make Forward / Freezing Directions: A pair methods to make forward of time! Make 1 day upfront: After it cools, cowl tightly and hold at room temperature. The pie crust dough can be ready forward of time and saved within the fridge for as much as 5 days or within the freezer for as much as 3 months. Baked pie additionally freezes properly for as much as 3 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge and permit to come back to room temperature earlier than serving. Ready filling (with out caramel) can be frozen as much as 3 months, thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than utilizing.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): Glass Mixing Bowls | Rolling Pin | Kitchen Shears | 9-inch Pie Dish | Baking Sheet | Pastry Wheel or Pizza Cutter | Pastry Brush | Pie Crust Shield | Coarse Sugar | Instant Read Thermometer
- Finest Apples to Use: Firmer apples are perfect for baking. Keep away from comfortable, mealy, and mushy apples. For depth of taste, it’s greatest to bake with a mixture of tart and candy apples akin to tart Granny Smith (for my part, that is the perfect general apple for baking) and a candy selection like Honeycrisp, Jazz, Fuji, or Pink Girl.
- Aluminum Foil Pie Crust Protect: You should purchase a pie crust defend or make one from aluminum foil. Reduce a 14-inch sq. of aluminum foil. Fold in half. Reduce out a 5-inch semi-circle on the folded edge. Unfold. Fastidiously match the aluminum foil over the pie crust edges, securing down on the edges as greatest you'll be able to (cautious, the pie is sizzling!), leaving the middle of the pie uncovered.
- Hand Pies: If you wish to make smaller particular person apple pies, attempt my apple hand pies recipe. You might also like these caramel apple turnovers.
Key phrases: salted caramel apple pie